Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sweet Nothings: Libraries




 

  Every since I was a wee little girl, I had a craving to read. I would sound out letters on anything: street signs, cereal boxes, receipts, and eventually books. I distinctly remember when I learned to read upside down, like my teachers all could. I felt so special that I had taught myself a skill that seemed so difficult to others. It was a story about bunnies. Maybe that's why I think I'd be such a good teacher...
   In third grade, our class had a competition of sorts to see who read the most each month. We would read, log our hours, and have our parents sign off on them to make sure we didn't cheat. Our prize if we met our goal: a free kid's size pizza at Pizza Hut. I was always competing with one boy in my class for the title of Class Smarty Pants. One weekend I was miserably sick and stayed home from school for a day. The Harry Potter books had just been sent to me by my Nana and PopPop, and I was devouring them. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had become my sick buddies and I spent the entire weekend lying in bed with the third book. I finished it in three days. My mom signed my log book, in which I had almost 48 hours of reading. I went to school the next day, very proud to hand in my hours to my teacher and secure my title as Class Smarty Pants. To my terrible surprise, my teacher frowned at me and told me she would have to call my mom! She didn't believe that a little third grader could have read so much in such a short period of time. (Especially of a large big kid book like Harry Potter.) Distraught, I talked to my mommy and told her the situation, and she cleared it up with my teacher. I'm pretty sure I got a couple free pizza's because of it, and I'm positive the other smart boy was very jealous. I bet he never read an entire book in one weekend!
  Sadly, I just don't have the time anymore to read like I used to, but I still adore anything literary. Any chance I get, I will wander around bookstores and libraries. The majority of the time I spend a couple dollars on coffee and don't even buy any books, yet it's still one of my favorite pastimes. I'm looking forward to eventually exploring our city library; it's huge! Senior year I had to do volunteer hours to get a scholarship, so my choice of venue was (you guessed it!) the library. Shelving books in the children's section was a blast, and made me add Librarian to the list of careers I'd love to have when I grow up. If I was a librarian, I could read upside down to cute kids all the time!



 

All photos from WeHeartIt
XOXO.

No comments: