Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dear Florida,

Sometimes, I really miss you. Scratch that- all the time I really miss you.



Growing up there, I didn't really appreciate you. The beauty of sunny days, of always being able to wear flip-flops even in "winter", driving over the causeway to "beachside" and seeing the vast ocean unroll before my eyes. Every time I go back to visit I relish in the delight I get from just a single warm, sunny day, a single peek at the waves, a single toe dip in the cool water. I roll my windows down and crank my music up and think "Gosh, why did I ever move away from this place?" So really, Florida, this is an apology. I'm sorry I neglected you when I lived there and I'm sorry I didn't realize how beautiful you really are. Now that I'm here in Georgia, I miss you. I tell people about Melbourne and "The Beaches" as if you were a long lost friend, one I greatly loved but sadly moved away from. I'm proud of being a Florida Girl and being able to say I grew up in a place that most people will only vacation to. Melbourne may not be famous Miami or the Keys, but it is still Florida and there is still the ocean and the Sunshine State and I still love you.

This is getting a bit depressing, so I just want to tell you that I'M MOVING BACK! Not to the exact place, but I will soon enough be back in your loving, albeit very hot, Florida arms. I'll be rejoicing in the fact that I will never (and this is a fact) be more than 60 miles away from a beach at any given time. Despite my paleness, the beach will be a sight for sore eyes. Florida, I love you. And I cannot wait until we meet again.

All My Love, Skye.
XO.

No comments: